Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Magical Millet

A hometown friend recently came to visit Walla Walla. We were flipping through a friends cookbook and came across a recipe for millet muffins. I exclaimed, "millet is my favorite grain!" without thinking what the fallout would be. Two weeks later and I still am getting flack for even having a favorite grain, apparently that's not a common thing. In retrospect, it is a completely true statement. Millet is a fantastic grain! It adds a wonderful texture to almost anything, it's cheap and very healthy. It can be puffed, toasted, roasted, used in candy, baked goods, cereal and even savory dishes. It's magical! I happen to have some millet lying around the house and after tasting my friend's millet lemon muffins I thought I'd bring my favorite grain back into the picture. I took an old favorite recipe for peanut butter bread and added millet and oats. These two new textures not only added flavor and texture to the bread they gave a rather boring, yet tasty quick bread a facelift. Not to mention an excuse for me to use my favorite grain. This bread is fast and easy, doesn't require more than one bowl and is great to make if you're lacking eggs, butter or oil.

Peanut Butter Bread remix

2 cups AP flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup raw millet
1/2 cup rolled oats.

Preheat oven to 375
Mix together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Mix in the milk and peanut butter. Add the millet and oats. Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment